Monday 13 October 2014

Eating Out in Edinburgh: Peter's Yard Cafe Quartermile


It is no secret that I am obsessed with everything Scandinavian. I don't know exactly what it is that attracts me to the culture, nature, style, dramas, food...but there is something so beautiful about it all. When David and I visited Edinburgh the summer after our wedding I was determined to visit Peter's Yard, a Swedish Bakery, right smack in the middle of the city's Quartermile development on the edge of the Meadows Park not far from the Royal Mile. 

That first visit was during the festival and the cafe was jam packed so we sat outside and enjoyed a slice of pizza and a coffee.  I remember it was good, but I remember how windy it was more. 

When we moved to Edinburgh and lived in Stockbridge I watched with anticipation for the 2nd (and smaller) location to open and enjoyed a relaxing flat white and cardamom bun during the first week of  trading. Shortly after that we moved to the south side of the city (so much closer to the Quartermile) and now that we have Lyra it is easy to find reasons to "just grab a coffee and bun" before hitting the swings in the park.  

You really can't go wrong at Peter's Yard with pastries, bread baskets with cheese and jam, soups, open sandwiches, salads and pizzas to choose from.  The coffee and tea are also excellent, as are the cold drinks.  

Late last week I treated Lyra and myself to a coffee and a pistachio cardamom bun (yeah I know).  We sat in the sun in the outside seating area and enjoyed the last of the summer weather.  I ate my portion of the bun too quickly to really savour it, Lyra gobbled her's up and was moaning and groaning and pointing at what was left of my plate and I just didn't want to share any more so down the hatch it went.  I can tell you that it was gloriously cardamomy and the pistachio was a nice addition to their basic cardamom bun.  I could have done with more pistachio but none the less it was deeeeeelicious.  

They also do ice cream...



Peter's Yard Cafe 
Quartermile
27 Simpson Loan 
Edinburgh 
EH3 9GG 

Stockbridge 
3 Deanhaugh Street 
Edinburgh 
EH4 1LU

@petersyardcafe

No comments:

Post a Comment