Sunday 8 February 2015

Recipe: Nature Cookies


I have fallen into the black hole that is Pinterest more often than I choose to admit.  Seriously, sometimes I lose WHOLE EVENINGS to browsing PICTURES of food.  More often that not I don't even bother trying out the links to the recipes that have caught my eye, I just PIN for later and move on...and on...and on...and on...and OH MY GOSH! Where did the evening go?! 

Back before Christmas I was looking for protein packed snack ideas for Lyra and ended up pinning about a gazillion energy ball recipes only to discover, upon actually looking at the recipes, that I needed a food processor to make them...something I don't have.  

Then I found the recipe for nature cookies from the Weelicious website (check it out...great food ideas for little ones) and after a couple of tweaks I whipped up a batch of protein packed cookies to keep in the freezer for Lyra.  

The original recipe sounds amazing, but I substituted 1/4 cup peanut butter and 1/4 cup butter instead of just 1/2 cup of butter because I wanted a little bit of extra nut protein, and also used maple syrup instead of honey since that is what I had on hand.  For nuts I used sunflower seeds and the basic chopped nuts mix from the Sainsbury's baking aisle, and I decided not to add in the chocolate chips. 

The cookie dough is really thick so I just rolled it into walnut sized balls and pressed those down on the baking sheet. 

These cookies freeze well and defrost quickly. The batch I made are a little bit crumbly, but still manage to get gobbled up pretty quickly. Oh, and without the chocolate chips they really don't taste sweet at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment